Thursday, March 5, 2015

Healthy Start



All though a lot of mushrooms can kill you, they can also be very important to a healthy diet. Mushrooms are a great source for calcium and vitamin D. Calcium is very important because it helps strengthen bones and teeth while supporting the function to form blood clots when you get injured. Vitamin D is essential because it greatly helps our immune systems, bones, and intake of calcium. Along with tasting amazing mushrooms have several different types of textures; some can be leathery while others could resemble Styrofoam. Some can be really soft and have a tear like tough rubber.

Lactarius_indigo_48568_edit.jpgMushrooms can also be delicious. You can find them in all different sorts of foods...even ice cream. Most people put candy caps in ice cream because it has a maple syrup flavor. Another awesome feature of candy caps is if you let it dry correct, you can fill your entire estate with the sweet aroma of maple syrup. The fruiting body of a fungus is mistakenly seen as gross, in the form of decay or even death. Even though mushrooms are responsible for a lot of the decomposition of a great majority of the dead waste on planet earth, they are still seen as ugly.


In all reality mushrooms can be pretty or colorful. Like the Indigo milk cap (Lactarius indigo) the entire mushroom is blue to blue-gray and has green stains when old or mature. This beauty can be found on the ground under pine and oak in Arizona and possibly New Mexico. It is not very common in the United States. But according to all the rain promises and more it is tasty as well as colorful. Here is a great recipe to get you started on a healthy diet with mushrooms!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I found this post extremely informational. I was unaware that mushrooms possessed vitamin D and calcium. I was also unaware that they can be found in ice cream. Even for people who do not like mushrooms it is nice because there is so many different ways you can cook mushrooms, for example eating them raw, sauteing them or even putting them on foods like pizza. What is your favorite way to cook mushrooms? I like how you provided recipes for people to find more example of cooking mushrooms. I find it interesting how many plants carry vitamins and nutrients that you wouldn't even think of like garlic and cinnamon. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I find this post interesting. Do you go out and pick mushrooms then eat them? I like mushrooms but I don't know if I could go eat some that I just picked. I agree that mushrooms could be good for you but you definitely have to be careful because they could kill you too. Great post dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, I find this post interesting. Do you go out and pick mushrooms then eat them? I like mushrooms but I don't know if I could go eat some that I just picked. I agree that mushrooms could be good for you but you definitely have to be careful because they could kill you too. Great post dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cool blog I want to know all of the rarest mushrooms found in northern California. And if they are able to kill you or benefit you in a huge way. I heard people make lots of money hunting for mushrooms and also i would like to know which ones i could find and sell.Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete