Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Plastic Eating Fungus

Could this be the answer? We all wonder when the waste on earth will take a toll, well here is the answer… Fungus that can yes, eat plastic. I find this so wonderful, seeing as we have a serious issue in the world with our trash and the mass amount of food we consume.  the great part about this is its really easy. First they make small edible cup shaped things the designers call "FU". These are made from Agar it’s a seaweed substitute that is mixed with starch and sugar, it will hold the fungus and plastic. The fungus that is edible is a mass of white mycelium. One of the really cool parts about this is that you can add in spices of your choice to the “FUs” giving it your favorite flavor. All the magic happens in a large incubator like machine that is called a mutarium growth sphere.

To start the growing process you first have to put the plastic under a UV light to sterilize the plastic and start the degrading process. Next you place plain “FUs” into the growth sphere. Then you pop some of the plastic you wish to be recycled. After that place a little of the solution that contains the fungus sprout on the plastic in the “FUs”. A couple of weeks will roll by and you will have yourself a delicious meal waiting in your growth mutarium. 


I hope this idea becomes a super big thing and I hope that every home may contain a mutarium growth sphere. I can’t wait to get one of these growth spheres so I can learn how to prepare the “FUs” and make a scrumptious meal for a friend or family. It amazes me how far we have come to a cleaner and safer environment, and it makes me really happy that fungi is helping us make that change!

6 comments:

  1. This post is great. I will tell my brothers about it. They love mushrooms and always talk about going mushroom hunting but never have the time. good job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is great. I will tell my brothers about it. They love mushrooms and always talk about going mushroom hunting but never have the time. good job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is great. I will tell my brothers about it. They love mushrooms and always talk about going mushroom hunting but never have the time. good job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that its crazy that there is now a way to reuse some of our non-recyclable materials in a way to feed us. IT would be cool to start seeing these in the stores so that people can buy them and use them to get rid of there trash instead of throwing it away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an amazing post! I think it is so cool, how they eat the plastic. I just wonder how Governments would set up recyclable centers for the fungi.

    ReplyDelete