Monday, January 26, 2015

The First Identification

 


Hygrocybe Coccinea
(Righteous Red Waxy Cap)

This my friends is the Righteous Red Waxy Cap. It is very red and really easily spotted. I actually didn't find this mushroom, my friend Jacob noticed this one. This mushroom Sprouts late in the mushroom season with other waxy caps. It is easily confused with Scarlet Waxy Cap (Hygrocybe punicea). Its edible, but I didn't even risk it. The righteous red waxy cap is apart of  the mushroom genus hygrocybe. Most of the mushrooms that are apart of this family are colorful and contain slimy mushrooms. The hygrocybe family is normally small and has ringless stems. I "attempted" to gather a spore print from a smaller cap, one of the mushrooms had a damaged stem and was perfect for a first trial. I read online that I should leave the cap on black paper over night to have a sure chance. So I placed the cap under a glass cup and fell fast asleep. I woke up roughly about eight or nine hours later filled with excitement.
(Spore print) White
 I looked and saw a whole collection of white spores gathered. I wasn't really sure what I should have used under the cap to contrast the color of the spores, since I didn't have any black paper I just used a small square of foil and it seemed to work just fine. The cap in the picture was, for the most part dry and felt a little odd, like a soft  furry feeling. One thing I found odd about how colorful this mushroom is that it has no distinct smell. I got all of my friends to take a huge whiff and they didn't know either. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover. If you want more information on the Righteous Red Waxy Cap then click the link below.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I liked the photos of the mushroom because it gives you a picture of what it looks like. The trial you did was interesting as well. Good Job and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I liked the photos of the mushroom because it gives you a picture of what it looks like. The trial you did was interesting as well. Good Job and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find mushrooms and all its little perks to be so fascinating, I plan on studying in mycology when I get older cause that would be insanely cool. Your blog posts are very helpful and show your journey into gaining knowledge on these little mushrooms. You should continue this blog once this project is over, you seem really natural when blogging and uhhm you uhhm seem like a fungi. (hehehe get it, fuuunggi. I'll go cry myself to sleep now.)

    ReplyDelete